Got my TyTN II (aka Kaiser) a week ago inspite of bad feeling about the driver and performance issues it is believed to have. The reason I bought it is that it has lots of the connectivity options (not that I use all of them all the time), GPS, more RAM, more stuff to ‘tweak’ (than symbian) (well I could have done with openmoko but dunno when and how to get it to my country, later perhaps). If you ask me again its just bad habit.
There are some things you can half-do, with SynCE.
- Connecting and listing files: It works fine, plus gnomevfs plugin makes the phone appear in the file browser (nautilus) like in windows (BTW, did not see that in Thunar – the one that comes with xfce).
- Syncing : Using Opensync. SynCE folks have written a ‘synce’ plugin to it. I could see syncing between the phone (synce plugin) and evolution plugin as well as ‘file’ plugin. However contact and calendar field mappings are screwed up (I’d rather back up before I try something stupid).
- Internet on phone using net connected PC: It works when you have ‘sync-engine’ running (which is like the application layer part of activesync).
- Internet on PC using net connected phone: Not tried it yet.
- Google earth works – it uses cell tower in case you dont have GPS (or disable it)..
- Mapking (no TomTom 🙁 ) – a bundled piece of s/w with license to one map. I’ve tried Bangalore (its got Chennai and Delhi) – Not useful as the traffic police spend their spare time blocking and unblocking routes.
- Battery: With big stuff comes big battery drain. On standby its decent :-).
- The graphics issues: Well it is present. But it varies from app to app. I wonder if its old apps (counting on GDI to perform at a minimum level) that suffer. Google maps was fast, some screens are painted real fast.
- Tilt screen: Its a good thing to show off but I am always worried about making it ‘loose’ – Its way too much weight hanging by two (metal I suppose) rails.
So why not other phones ?
- N95: The 8Gig version is good. But currently I am sold out to Win mobile and no touch screen and registry to mess around with (atleast none so obvious as in WM).
- HTC P3300: Actually this could have done the job but I was tempted by the RAM of Kaiser and prospects of 3G in India.
- Mio (A701/A501/A702): Expensive, could not find in India.