I took the leap of faith, bought i7 930 based rig with insanely expensive motherboard (ASUS P6T Deluxe v2). Linux is up with my old installation with the following changes to kernel:
- Add Yukon etherenet support (sky2.ko module).
- Add w83627ehf module for sensors.
- AHCI for disks (Which borked the windows 7 install; fixable by enabling ahci in windows registry)
- And ofcourse SMP (incase you did not have it).
- Proprietary nvidia drivers for the video card.
Funny my DRAM speed went down to 1066 Mhz (from 1333) cant recollect why. Now I’ve ‘set’ it to 1333.